Τhe Lagos Mare family: Asteris Preshua
Hospitality Occupation? -all-around player-
– How long have you been working in Lagos Mare?
I started working here in 2005 as a part of the team that was actually building it. I feel proud because I am a part of the hotel’s life since the beginning!
– Do you live in the island of Naxos all year long?
Yes, I do. This year will be my 22nd here.
– What is your favorite hour of the day in Lagos Mare?
It’s hard to tell since it feels I live here; I guess it would be my afternoon break: I have my favorite spot at the Eastern bar deck and I love to gaze at the horizon while sipping an iced cold raki along with my Greek coffee.
– What is your favorite Greek plate?
I think a classic moussaka or maybe a nice homemade pastitsio…
– Where do you swim in Naxos?
I don’t have much free time for swimming during summer months, so I try to have a quick plunge around noon, at the nearby Agios Prokopios beach. Then, I feel refreshed and I am ready to get fast back to work if needed.
– What’s your favorite month to be in the island?
September! The weather is sweeter, the sea waters look different; it’s so calm. I have more free time and I love taking my kids swimming or playing soccer with my 6,5 years old son.
– Do you have a favorite hotel memory?
Well, I remember when one of our repeater guests brought me two amazing fishing rods as gift and we decided to go fishing together. We went to the sea lagoon of Laguna, 800 m. from the hotel but we had no luck at all; came back empty-handed. The fishing rods didn’t work until the next fishing excursion…
– What do you like most about working in Lagos Mare?
We are close, like family. Since I am the oldest employee here, I welcome the new employees, show them around, tell them all the little tips and advices needed in order to feel connected with the place and the people. “A loving home travels with you”: that’s a phrase that embodies the way I feel working here.
– Where do you enjoy going out in Naxos?
I go to Chora, at the beach, because my kids meet their friends there. I also like visiting the villages, I do enjoy a cup of coffee under the sycamore trees in Filoti.
– Which are your favorite places to eat in Naxos?
I like the tavern of Giorgi in Melanes, the rooster in tomato sauce there is amazing!
– Which is your favorite 1924 plate?
I love the Naxian beef chop with sweet wine, mushrooms, mashed potatoes
and braised peas. And a burger for lunch is always a good idea!
– Would you like to describe Lagos Mare hotel with a feeling?
I could not; It’s been so many years that I am here… I love them, they love me. [laughing]. It feels good to be here.